American Airlines is the airline leader in the Latin American and the Caribbean markets. American expanding its flight schedule to Latin America and the Caribbean means that new and expanded flights are going to be added to your selection of preferred flights.
The company made an announcement that they will be adding routes within their portfolio of expansion to maintain its dominance in this region.
A few routes are logical since they originate from the American Airlines Mega Hub of Dallas – Ft. Worth (DFW). Other routes seem out of context, as their message has been to serve premium markets out of (JFK) New York.
However, considering that the airline wishes to maintain its superiority in the Latin American & Caribbean markets the announcement of American’s expansion should not come as a surprise at all.
New Flights for American out of New York Kennedy (JFK)
These new routes to the Caribbean and Latin America are what I call reinforcement routes, which all airlines do during the winter. An airline (in this case American Airlines) might normally fly to Kingston, Jamaica but not to Montego Bay. To reaffirm their position (or commitment) they fly to secondary cities, such as Montego Bay, let’s say during the winter.
American’s increased routes to Latin America and the Caribbean
This flight schedule is all operated utilizing Legacy 737-800 model aircraft, provided by the following new daily flights:
- A new daily flight between New York (JFK) and Montego Bay, Jamaica (MBJ) as of November 21, 2019.
- A new daily flight between New York (JFK) and San Jose, Costa Rica (SJO), as of November 21, 2019.
- A once weekly flight (Saturdays only) between New York (JFK) and Liberia, Costa Rica (LIR), as of December 21, 2019.
Further flight extensions and increases by American Airlines
- American is extending their daily flight between New York JFK and St. John’s, Antigua and Barbuda, to continue beyond November 21, 2019.
- American is extending their once weekly flight (Saturdays only) between New York LaGuardia and Aruba, to continue beyond December 21, 2019. This flight is treated as a Domestic flight by TSA and Customs Border Protection under the DHS CBP Preclearance Program.
- American is increasing its flights between Dallas and San Juan from once daily to twice daily as of December 18, 2019.
- American is making their Dallas to San Salvador route year-round rather than just seasonal as of January 7, 2020.
Time Table of American’s expanding flight schedule
American’s JFK strategy
As for New York Kennedy (JFK), the expansion of American’s flight schedule into Jamaica (Montego Bay), and Costa Rica (Liberia and San Jose) gives the company an edge in two ways:
- It is their way of giving customers more choices from JFK which frequently suffers from delays due to snow and ice in the winter.
- It also reemphasizes American’s commitment to being the number #1 carrier in the Latin American and the Caribbean region, serving JFK.
Both reasons agree very well with the American Premium Customer Strategy out of New York’s John F. Kennedy Airport. Think of it as the season flavor destination.